HOME OXYGEN – FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

left-arrowWhy is my doctor ordering oxygen?
During your visit with your physician or nurse practitioner, he or she has determined that oxygen therapy may be of benefit to you to help you feel better. This may be due to complaints of:

  • feeling short of breath with little exercise,
  • coughing or wheezing,
  • feeling disoriented or dizzy.

 Your physician or nurse practitioner has taken one of two approaches regarding home oxygen therapy. They have either:
 a) sent us a request for a home oxygen assessment. This means one of our Registered Respiratory Therapists (RRT) will see you either at home when it is convenient for you, or in the hospital to test your oxygen levels by way of an Oximetry test which is non-invasive. The RRT will simply place a probe on your finger which will determine your oxygen levels while resting, and may then walk with you to test your oxygen levels while exerting yourself.

If the Registered Respiratory Therapist determines that your oxygen levels meet the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s medical criteria, they will let you know, and you will begin your home oxygen therapy right away.

b) or sent us a request for a home oxygen set up. This means they have pre-determined you require oxygen therapy, either by an Arterial Blood Gas (ABG), or an Independent Exercise Assessment (IEA/Walk Test). Our Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) will see you in hospital to assess your requirements, then at home to teach and set you up with our oxygen equipment.

left-arrowI easily feel short of breath, should I be on oxygen?

Not necessarily. There could be other reasons for feeling this shortness of breath; however a respiratory assessment will determine your need for home oxygen therapy. Our RRT will advise you of the results at the time of assessment.

The assessment results will then be forwarded to your physician or nurse practitioner.

left-arrowI do not want to carry around an oxygen tank, what are my other options for portability?

At Complete Healthcare Solutions, we believe that life with oxygen can still be lived as fully as before. Therefore, we offer a variety of portable oxygen concentrators (POCs).

These POCs are designed by flow rate; the lower the flow rate required, the smaller the unit. These vary from our units which can be carried in a backpack or over the shoulder, to our slightly larger units which can be pulled around with a small cart.

All our units run on rechargeable batteries, and can be plugged into vehicles to hold the charge.

left-arrow My equipment is not working well, who do I contact?

Call Complete Healthcare Solutions. We have a 24 hour emergency on-call service for our oxygen patients. When you call us, you will speak to one of our local clinicians.

We will assist you in some over-the-phone troubleshooting and ensure the equipment is working properly before the end of the call. If the equipment is no longer working, we will go to exchange the equipment that day or night if no other option is available until regular business hours.

left-arrow How is my oxygen therapy paid for?

The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care has a program in place for home oxygen funding; this is called the Home Oxygen Program (HOP) and is billed directly through us.

If you meet the medical criteria for the Ministry of Health’s Home Oxygen Program (HOP) and are over 65 years of age, or have Social Assistance (Ontario Disability-ODSP, Ontario Works, Community Care Access Center-CCAC, or live in a Long-Term Care Home), you will be approved for 100% funding through the HOP.

If you are under 65 years of age and do not have any Social Assistance, the HOP will pay 75% of the monthly rental rate. This means the other 25% will be your responsibility.

left-arrow Will my insurance company pay for my portion?

Some insurance plans do cover home oxygen rentals. You simply need to provide us with your insurance information during your set up visit and as a courtesy we will help you determine what your plan covers.